Friday, October 12, 2018

Review: The Bear and the Nightingale

The Bear and the Nightingale The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

..........SPOILERS..........

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden is the first book in the Winternight Trilogy. This story is based on a Russian fairy tale called Father Frost. This version of the tale is about a frost king who is after a girl named Vasilisa.

Plot 5/5: I have never heard any Russian fairy tales, so this was quite the treat.

Characters 5/5: The characters are interesting. I loved learning some of the ways of the Russian people and their folklore and beliefs.

World building 5/5: The descriptions of the village had me feeling the harsh winters and the expectations of spring in this wonderfully created village world.

Pacing 4/5 The pacing was steady and a bit slow, but Arden kept me rapt in the story.

Writing 5/5: The writing is beautiful and lyrical.

Overall 4.8

Favorite Quote:

"I would walk into the jaws of hell itself, if it were a path of my own choosing. I would rather die tomorrow in the forest than live a hundred years of the life appointed me." - Vasilisa

Favorite characters: Vasilisa and Morozko

This was a fabulous story and I cannot wait to read the next installment.







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment