Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Review: The Fall of Gondolin

The Fall of Gondolin The Fall of Gondolin by J.R.R. Tolkien
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Fall of Gondolin by J.R.R. Tolkien is another tale of ‘Great Tales’ of the Elder Days. There are three books total in the ‘Great Tales’ of the Elder Days which include Children of Húrin, Beren and Lúthien, and The Fall of Gondolin.

I enjoyed reading these tales. Tolkien has brought to light more characters and their labors which provided me with great details of Tolkien's world he had envisioned. A lot of trials, loss, and tragedy struck the peoples of Gondolin.

I loved reading about some of the history of Tolkien's world. The characters are deep with trials of their life lead and their losses.

A big treat for me was reading Christopher Tolkien's telling of his father's revisions, additions, and his father's thoughts. This had to be a daunting task and with the help of Christopher's colleagues, he was able to bring to light these tales of the elder days and to give a bit of insight as to what Tolkien's father had in mind concerning his passion of his created world. Christopher Tolkien doesn't get the credit he deserves for helping bring his father's world to light, and I am without question indebted to him for his toiling efforts of bringing this epic story to a full and completed tale, as fully as he could, and bringing it to the public for our enjoyment. I will cherish these stories and will pass them to my children and grandchildren in the hopes of them loving this epic story as much as I do.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment